If I had to make a list of my 5 go-to kitchen staples, a great nut butter and turmeric would be up there. Especially now that I’ve discovered powdered peanut butter and pre-mixed turmeric latte mix.
I’ve recently been on a mission to reduce the amount of sugar I consume (including sugar from fruit!), and have been experimenting with turmeric smoothie recipes.
It combines the best of both worlds (crunchy almond and creamy cashew butters!) with no added sugars or additives, and 6g. of protein per serving. The list of ingredients is this: almonds, cashews and sea salt – it’s that simple! The sea salt really compliments the creaminess of the butter, and it’s so good on its own, you may want to eat the whole jar. I warned you.
Pumpkin Pie Turmeric Smoothie
*makes 1 serving
- 3 tbs chia seeds
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée (you can also hack this recipe and use sweet potato in place of pumpkin – pureed or baked and chilled or frozen)
- 1 ripe banana (fresh or frozen) + leave some for topping*
- 2 Tbs Bestie Almond & Cashew Butter
- 1 tspn turmeric (amazing anti-inflammatory superfood great for digestion)
- 1 tspn pumpkin pie spice
1. Pour the almond milk over chia seeds in a bowl or jar, let it sit for at least 15 minutes so that the chia seeds expand (this way you won’t miss out on chia’s important nutritional benefits!)
2. Blend the almond milk and chia seed mixture with the rest of the ingredients until smooth. Optional: serve with cinnamon, walnuts, banana.
*if you’re on a reduced sugar diet, try making this smoothie with less or no banana, OR swap banana for 1/2 teaspoon honey.
This post features sponsored products by Peanut Butter & Co. All opinions, as always, are my own!