If we’re friends on Instagram, you already know about my new obsession with savory breakfast (#breakfastcriminalsgoessavory). It all started after I learned about the benefits of high fat, high protein, low sugar diet.
I tried going completely sugar-free for 21 days (that included fruit), and absolutely loved how energized and clear I felt. When I start my day with a butter coffee followed by a hearty, savory late breakfast, I feel the best.
That doesn’t mean I’m putting smoothie bowls in the corner ;) I’m still a big fan of an occasional minimally sweetened acai bowl or a light parfait with berries and gluten free granola.
The key to making choices in the morning that will lead to you feeling nourished and energized is simple: stocking up your kitchen with the right pantry and grocery items!
Confession: I’m hooked on using Whole Foods Market’s delivery service powered by Instacart that has all my favorite Whole Foods Market groceries delivered straight to my door. I usually fill up my virtual Whole Foods Market shopping cart using the Instacart app while in transit (airport/subway/Uber), and then come home to all my favorite groceries (including frozen items like berries and ice cream!) conveniently waiting for me to get cooking. The coolest part is that I can message my shopper directly with specific requests such as making sure he or she picks the most perfectly ripe avocados.
Having your groceries delivered gets addictive. There you go, I warned you.
That said, when you try Whole Foods Market delivery on Instacart, make sure you use my code “wfmbfastcriminals” to get $10 off your first order of $35 or more.*
Heads up: it is available in all of Manhattan and parts of NJ & CT. Go to delivery.wholefoodsmarket.com/store and enter your zip code to see if Instacart delivers in your area.
Onto savory breakfast.
There is no recipe here. Instead, I want to share staple groceries that keep me breakfast-ready at all times. While I love the experience of health food shopping (Whole Foods Market is my first stop in each new city I go to), sometimes it’s just so convenient to get everything delivered.
Here are the staples you can always find in my fridge for a balanced and delicious breakfast/brunch:
- Pastured eggs
- Fresh greens (kale or spinach to get your fiber on!)
- Avocados (healthy fats)
- Sauerkraut (my favorite way to keep my gut healthy)
- Frozen veggie burgers (for an even heartier, protein-rich breakfast)
- Gluten free bread or bagels (to pair with egg or Kite Hill dairy free ricotta cheese)
- Pumpkin or sunflower seeds (to add satisfying crunch to greens)
- Sriracha or red chili flakes (can’t go without some spice)
- Ghee and/or coconut oil (healthy fats to spread on bread and to sautee greens)
- Almond or coconut yogurt
- Fresh and frozen berries (for dessert!)
The great thing is that you can get creative and mix and match these ingredients in a way that will never get boring.
This typical Breakfast Criminals savory breakfast spread powered by Instacart includes:
- Gluten free cinnamon raisin bagel (one with ghee, fried pastured egg and red chili pepper flakes, another one with coconut oil, Kite Hill ricotta cheese, blueberries, goji berries, cinnamon and honey)
- Kale with toasted sunflower seeds and nutritional yeast
- Parfait with almond yogurt, organic frozen blackberries, blueberries, Purely Elizabeth gluten free granola
There you have it! Hope you’re inspired to stock up your kitchen with breakfast supplies that will help you feel prepared and nourished.
* Terms & Conditions: Offer valid until 5/19/2017 at 11:59pm Pacific Time or while supplies last. Credit valid only for first-time Whole Foods Market orders made through Instacart.com or delivery.wholefoodsmarket.com of $35 or more. See additional terms: http://bit.ly/deliveryterms
This post is in collaboration with my favorite healthy food chain, Whole Foods Market. I love working with brands that I love! All opinions, as always, are my own.