As I’ve mentioned in my interview with The Raw Food Sisters, the movement-based yoga at Strala Yoga has changed my life. I have even signed up to become a Strala Yoga guide myself this coming fall and will be leading a yoga + superfoods retreat in November (YAY!). But things don’t have the capacity to change your life. People do. In this case, I met absolutely amazing people at Strala,who have been providing me gentle guidance to allowing more ease (read: abundance) into my life. They shine bright and lead others to do the same. One of them is Anna Gannon, who not only leads fun yoga classes, but also makes the most amazing food (and documents it on her Instagram (@akgannon) and Facebook).
1. I met you through your amazing yoga classes at Strala Yoga in NYC. Tell me more about what you do. Aw you are sweet! Well like you said, I lead classes at Strala Yoga and I also manage the studio. When I’m not leading yoga (which is not often! :)) you will find me cooking healthy meals for private clients, writing, spending time with my family, dabbling in food photography and playing around with new healthy recipes.
2. How did you get into yoga and healthy living? I’ve been fascinated by health for as long as I can remember. I was the teenage girl buying SHAPE magazine while all my friends read Cosmopolitan, and in my late teens I was asking for a Pilates reformer machine and a punching bag for my birthdays instead of a new car and clothes. My interest in yoga didn’t start until I was 23 when I tried a yoga DVD. It was really hard! But I kept at it and eventually caught the yoga bug. When I moved to New York City 5 years ago, I became 200hr yoga certified and have been leading classes ever since. Which is one of the best decisions I ever made, aside from walking into Strala Yoga. :)
3. Top 3 tips for a healthy, happy glow? Eat healthy fats – olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc. Use natural face wash and face lotion. Please don’t put chemicals on your skin! Drink lots of water and SMILE! Smiling is scientifically proven to make you feel and look better. Plus it’s crazy cost effective. :)
4. One tip for a deeper yoga practice. Close your eyes, focus on your breath, and feel. Allowing your breath and how you feel to lead you in yoga (and life) will take you towards things you never thought were possible.
5. Favorite words to live by? “No one has ever gotten anywhere by giving up.” I’ve watched a lot of people give up on their dreams because they weren’t willing to accept that they might not be great at it right away. Understanding that you will fail a bunch of times before you succeed is the key to doing whatever you want to do in your life.
6. What is your food philosophy? Eat real food that makes you feel good. Stop dieting and start paying attention to you, and if you want a cheeseburger, eat it! Remember that your eating habits are not your life. Putting less pressure on yourself to eat or exercise like other people will be the key to you living your own happy, healthy life.
7. What’s next for Anna Gannon (at Breakfast Criminals, only BIG dreams are allowed ;) I try my best to let things evolve in my life, checking in with how I feel and If I’m still working on where I am or ready to transition towards new things. At the moment my main focus is connecting with people through yoga, food, and happiness. Where that focus will take me next is just as good your guess as mine. But if you want an answer to what my next BIG dream is, I would say I’m already living it. :)
8. Favorite breakfast to prepare at home? When I’m on the go I throw together my blueberry muffin smoothie! It’s packed with sweet blueberries, hearty oats, flax and chia seeds, and did I mention that it not only taste amazing but looks amazing too! The color alone with make your morning brighter!
Blueberry Muffin Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 banana
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup oats
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 tbsp. ground flaxseeds
- ½ tbsp. cinnamon
- Top w/chia seeds
9. Favorite breakfast to eat out? I’m a veggie omelet and tater tot kind of girl. I LOVE me some tater tots with Sriracha sauce, spicy goodness!