You know me as a lover of healthy breakfasts, but there’s something else about what I’m passionate about that I want to share with you.
I’m one of the co-founders of #FairTuesday, a grassroots movement that unites over 150 fair trade, ethical and eco-friendly organizations around the globe to give jobs to artisans and farmers whose lives depend on our purchases.
Even one purchase can affect lives of whole communities. Have you ever thoughts of where your groceries and superfoods come from, and whether they’re produced ethically?
You can start small – by making sure your bananas and daily cup of tea or coffee is fair trade. And I have to tell you, it even feels different.
It empowers me, as I realize that while enjoying delicious fair trade gourmet products I can also be supporting single mothers in Nicaragua, for example (in case of Pitaya Plus raw frozen dragonfruit).
#FairTuesday on December 1, and I encourage you to shop gifts that give twice. You can see the directory and promo codes on www.fairtuesday.org.
For now, enjoy my ethical and fair trade breakfast recipes created specially for #FairTuesday.
CINNAMON SPICE COOKIE ACAI BOWL
(makes 2 smoothie bowls)
Like the name suggests, this smoothie bowl tastes like a delicious cinnamon spiced cookie, as my friend Kat from Curlsnchard.com, who assisted at this shoot, perfectly described it. Perfect for the Holidays! Instead of banana, I used baked sweet potato, and the result is phenomenal.
Ingredients to blend:
- 2 unsweetened Sambazon acai smoothie packs (Sambazon employs ethical principles across the whole production cycle, and helps farmers in Brazil to earn a healthy living)
- ½ cup frozen cranberries
- ½ cup sweet potato, baked
- 1 tbs Organic Burst ethically sourced maca
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tsp allspice, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 clove (all from fair trade organic Frontier Coop)
- 1 tbs honey or sweetener of choice
- 1.5 cups coconut water (if you have a chance, try the fair trade cinnamon and clove spiced Harmless Harvest coco water, available during holidays in USA – heavenly!)
Toppings: fair trade chocolate brazil nut granola, Dang coconut chips, star fruit, banana, cranberries.
POMEGRANATE & PITAYA MAPLE CHEER SMOOTHIE
(makes 2 smoothies)
Ingredients to blend:
- 2 Pitaya Plus packs of raw frozen dragonfruit (supports single mothers in Nicaragua)
- 1.5 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen berries (I used blackberries)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1.5 cups Maple Water
Toppings: pomegranate, Frontier fair trade raw cacao nibs.