It’s been almost a year that I’m starting my day not with a breakfast, but with butter coffee with collagen.
WHAAAT? No, I’m not skipping breakfast and all my Instagram posts aren’t fabricated.
I just rearranged my morning routine to give priority to coffee that fuels my brain, kickstarts digestion and supports healthy hormones (which I’ve been working on stabilizing after getting off the pill – video coming up on YouTube) like nothing else.
Result? I feel like David Guetta’s song “The World Is Mine” [does anyone remember going and buying his CD (!) after hearing this song?] after each cup of my superfood spiked butter coffee.
I also have more energy and focus than ever.
I’m fairly new to the world of coffee, and as I was starting to incorporate it into my day on a daily basis, I came across Bulletproof Coffee: a morning cup that promises to improve brain function, concentration, boosted metabolism and support in losing weight.
Curiosity turned into obsession when I got to experience the energizing effects of Bulletproof Coffee at mindbodygreen’s Revitalize Summit. There was no turning back. Not only it tastes damn good, but it fits into the idea of intermittent fasting or letting my digestion rest for at least 14-16 hours every day (read more about it here).
Butter coffee isn’t just another wellness fad, but a scientifically proven formula that fuels your body and brain, and keeps you satiated and focused for hours.
It was created by David Asprey inspired by tsampa, an energizing yak butter and black tea mixture traditionally drank by Tibetan monks to fuel long meditations.
I make this satisfying and functional cup of coffee with grass-fed butter or ghee, collagen and ashwagandha first thing in the morning, then head to a workout or use the next couple of hours to get really productive. I usually don’t want to eat for 2-3 hours after my butter coffee.
Here’s why butter coffee with collagen my morning drink of choice.
BENEFITS OF GRASS-FED BUTTER & GHEE
While I generally avoid dairy products in USA, grass-fed butter and ghee are exception. Here’s why:
- Grass-fed butter and ghee is high in CLA (conjugated linoleic acid). Some studies show that it may help lower cholesterol and high blood pressure, reduce inflammation, and lower body fat [source].
- Grass-fed butter contains the ideal ratio of omega 6: omega 3 fatty acids, which is especially important for optimizing cell membrane function and reducing inflammation [source].
- Grass-fed butter is high in butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid that can help prevent leaky gut, auto-immune diseases and help energy production and digestive health.
- Great source of Vitamins D and K2 that help increase bone density and support healthy teeth.
BENEFITS OF COLLAGEN
Collagen was first prescribed to me by my holistic doctor at Parsley Health, and I’ve been hooked since! It made my skin texture more elastic, and is an easy on-the-go protein option that can be dissolved ina any liquid. My go-to collagen is Vital Proteins.
Taking collagen as a supplement helps you produce your own collagen, increases bone mass density, stimulates healthier joints and stronger skin and nails.
Collagen is also the most digestible form of protein. It’s completely soluble and tasteless and has 9 grams of protein per scoop. Unlike some other proteins that can be hard to digest, collagen soothes your gut’s lining, increases your metabolism, strengthens teeth, nails and hair.
Butter Coffee with Collagen For Healthy Hormones Recipe
- A big mug of coffee (fresh brewed or heated up cold brew)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or grass-fed unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon MCT oil or coconut oil
- 1-2 scoops of Vital Proteins collagen peptides
Additional boosts (optional):
- 1/2 teaspoon ashwagandha (supports healthy thyroid and adrenals)
- 1 teaspoon maca (balances hormones, especially in women, and boosts energy)
- 1/2 teaspoon mucuna pruriens (reduces stress and supports healthy brain)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric or golden mylk spice mixture (anti-inflammatory effect)
- 1/4 teaspoon Shilajit (increases energy, supports detoxification and fertility)
- 1/2 teaspoon chaga (supports immune systems, antimicrobal) or reishi (helps detoxification, supports hormones and promoted relaxation) mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (stabilizes blood sugar, boosts metabolism and keeps appetite under control)
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
Blend or shake up all ingredients until frothy. Benefits are the strongest when you drink it before food!
On days when there’s absolutely no way I can make butter coffee, I simply have a tablespoon of coconut oil on empty belly followed by a cup of black coffee (a metabolism-boosting biohack shared with me by Elisa Haggarty).
Carry a small jar of coconut oil and grass-fed butter mixture and a hot beverage mug with you. Buy black coffee, and shake it up with the oil mixture in your mug. Voila!
This post includes affiliate links and is in collaboration with my favorite collagen brand, Vital Proteins. I love working with brands that I love and use every day! All opinions, as always, are my own.